Sunday, December 4, 2011

# Guest-post # Language

Letter W

A guest post to bubbly Ashwini of Just The Way I like it. As a blogger, one can understand that she is a voracious reader, balanced and mature headed person. I find myself nodding the head saying "yeah.. Right" reading most of her write-ups. It was an honour to write for your blog Ashwini. Thank you :)


The below post is featured here

The 23rd letter of the English alphabet. Yes. The letter I do not like to see. A Plagiarist. A Copy-cat. Letter sans individuality. A Parasite.  Oh.. Am I calling names? Wait. Wait. Let me explain..
Now, go back to your phonetics and voice out "W". Loudly. Now, again. Loudly and Slowly. Did you say "double-u"? Supporters of W, try not using "Letter U" for voicing out "W". Does it have a unique sound? No. It does not. Let us come back to this later.


Analyze, how do people write "W", They write 2 'u's or 2 'v's together like conjoint twins.  it also depends on 'Letter V' for its survival? And talk of calling this letter out, DA-BAL-U Ufff! It takes 3 syllables! While all other letters in the alphabet take just one. Can anyone explain why we have given this special status to one letter?


Coming back to the phonetics, check out some words. We will now see if "W" can STAND ALONE
Who?  ----  Hu? (Bu.haw.haw. Now it needs "Letter H" also)
Went   ---- Vent?
Dew     ---- Due
Wrinkles  --- rinkles (Phew! DEAD...)
But, there are minority appeasers everywhere.
So, they reserved W for an important chemical element called Tungsten (where have you heard of this metal's name? Did the BULB on your head glow?) also known as wolfram. So, it occupies the famous periodic table also.


And then, they wanted people to think that "W" has bound the world to make it a global village. They were so desperate to do that, they made us write "w" 3 bloody times when we write a URL (imposition?)
Woman, War, Work, Wine - Crucial driving factors of the cycle of life and death in the planet from time immemorial. Still we chose to give them to an underserving "W", which is nothing but a pretender with no originality of its own. And arguably, the most important word in all of our lives "we" although pronounced V, was still given away to W. "V" did get a raw deal here.


I here by conclude the argument, that the english vorld should consider jettisoning the obsolete, vasteful letter "uu" and stop it from recking our lives by vilfully reaking havoc. And provide relief and compensation to other affected but more deserving letters of the alphabet.

18 comments:

  1. I read it an hour ago and now I am cursing 'W'...and loving u u u ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure I will check.

    Love
    http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ashwini :) Am glad I wrote for you Ashwini :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sujatha Sathya I am glad you went there and commented too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Muhammad Israr Israr.. Thank you. That means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Saru Singhal That was the best comment I got on this post Saru.. THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nominated you for an award. Please go check it out at the following link
    http://meeraganesh.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/im-doing-the-happy-dance

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sahana Rao has a beautiful mind that thinks even more beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL.. awesome post! My comment on Ashwini's blog apply here too :)

    Cheers,
    Anand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geee, Loved it!!! I know, "double u" is such a versatile world ,again W, altogether ;)

    ReplyDelete

to let me know your opinion!